5 THINGS I LOVE IN AUGUST:
• August means a quiet stillness every morning 'cause people are back to work. I spend my mornings at some small local coffee shop, an outdoor table, reading, writing, watching, listening. It's bliss and I'm grateful for it.
• Brain Pickings
A never ending gold treasure of super well written book summaries, thoughts on philosophy, writers, literature and history. Just click on one title that intrigues you and you will get lost in the wonder.
• On Being Podcast
Wonderful, intelligent conversations with all kinds of people: musicians, authors, politicians, journalists, business owners. For around an hour they talk about the simple pleasure and struggle of being a human. If you like Brain Pickings above, you can find an interview with the writer of the site on On Being here >>>
• Dear White People, TV Show. It's kind of a teenage comedy, kind of racial issues that really got me thinking.
• Celebrities going vegan or vegetarian. I love this clip by Jamie Oliver >>> I stopped eating meat almost 5 years ago now, and I've never felt better or stronger in my body. Everyone has different reason, for me, it just made sense. Animals are killed in a state of extreme adrenaline, with antibiotics in their bodies, fake food and no happy chemicals in their blood. By eating that meat, YOU get all that poison, nervous chemicals and antibiotics straight into your bloodstream and brain. What do you think that does to you? When I stopped eating meat my anxiety got better, I felt calmer, and I didn't feel as worried. I'm now almost completely plant based, meaning I try to eat foods from the ground. Clean and pure, filled with real vitamins and nutrients. Our bodies are from the ground, it's logic to me.
WHAT I'M READING IN AUGUST:
• Rilke on Love and Other Difficulties
This summer I have consumed myself in the writings of Rainer Maria Rilke. Oh wow what a character, philosopher and writer! There are some writers you read and rather than reading a story, a fictional poem or book, it feels like you get nothing but pure life advice on how to be a good person, spoken straight to you. That's what Rilke does to me. To get a shorter glimpse of his thoughts, there's a wonderful post on Brain Pickings about it over here >>>
• Living Beautifully: With Uncertainty and Change by Pema Chödrön
Pema Chödrön is well known buddhist- and meditation teacher, leading wonderful talks, retreats and spiritual events. She has several books, all of them just as wonderful. Before you read this book, I would actually recommend you to start with her book When Things Fall Apart. Just google some quotes from it, it's filled with comfort.I bought this book completely based on the title without knowing what it really was about. Being an artist, a free roaming person with no fixed future, plan, home or career comes with an uncertainty that can be too heavy to bear when you simply feel too young.
• Women Who Run With the Wolves by Clarissa Pinkola Estés
This is a very spiritual book, talking about archetypes and mythologies around wild women. If you're like me, totally obsessed with these things, you will love this book :)
• Julia Michaels - Nervous System
I love this record so much, and she's also one of my favorite songwriters for other artists. The production is simple but creative, not standard pop polished, and I love it. Worst In Me is my favorite song, I can't stop playing it and I wish I wrote it!
• Lorde - Melodrama
I like Lorde's first record, but it didn't stay long for me. This record though, is perfection in my ears, from start to finish! The production, the lyrics, her vocals, the stories -- oh wow!!! For some stripped magic, check this out >>>
• I have a playlist called "New Album Inspiration" where I add my current favorite songs that inspire me and that become the soundtrack for the moment. Please come follow the playlist here >>> I update it regularly!
What are you loving in August? Beautiful things are meant to be share, what should I discover? :)